McHale’s Navy is an American television sitcom that originally aired on ABC from 1962 to 1966. The show was created by Si Rose and starred Ernest Borgnine as Lieutenant Commander Quinton McHale, a naval officer; Tim Conway as Ensign Charles Parker, McHale’s assistant; Joe Flynn as Captain Wallace B. Binghamton, McHale’s commanding officer; and Carl Ballantine as Lester Gruber, the ship’s mechanic.
The show was popular with viewers but not with critics, and it was cancelled after four seasons.
The show has been criticized for its campy humor and its use of racial stereotypes.
Regardless of its controversial aspects, McHale’s Navy remains an iconic part of American pop culture and is fondly remembered by fans of classic television.
5 little known facts about the show:
1. The show was created by Si Rose, who also wrote the majority of the show’s episodes.
2. Ernest Borgnine was actually 54 years old when he started filming the show, making him the oldest cast member.
3. Tim Conway was actually 33 years old when he started filming the show, making him the second oldest cast member.
4. Joe Flynn was only 31 years old when he started filming the show, making him the third oldest cast member.
5. McHale’s Navy was filmed in Los Angeles, California, which is where the majority of the cast members lived.